Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Changes

So I am sitting here at work with a nice hole in the afternoon. I have begun to limit my number of patients so that many afternoons are more like this while my mornings are busy. This allows me to catch up and sit down. I DID NOT USED TO LIKE TO SIT DOWN.

This weekend, in between concerts and Maternity Orientation and getting things done around the house I took a grand total of 6 hours of naps! I could have slept more. I could likely have slept most of the day and never showered or dressed and been perfectly happy - until I smelled myself with my super-spidey pregnant senses. I DID NOT USED TO LIKE TO NAP AND LIE AROUND AND NOT DO ANYTHING ALL DAY.

I am getting better at saying no and not doing things that I am not interested in. I make Tom go with his friends to movies or concerts I am not interested in and I take a friend if he is not interested. I have cut back on my volunteering because it was just too much to do some days. I will likely not have a medical student with me next year as it is too much to cram into my day and I feel I am not doing my best. I skipped the drive to Grants Pass to spend Easter with mom and dad as I knew it would be a less than 24 hour trip. I DID NOT USED TO HAVE SUCH LIMITATIONS TO MY MENTAL WELL BEING!

My belly is getting bigger. I have done well to not gain too much weight. I have only recently seen maybe a small hint that a single stretch mark is forming near my belly button. I used to be able to walk fast and long and hard and get my heart rate up. I now walk at a slow pace for a maximum of 30 minutes (actually usually 30 minutes). I cannot reach down to pick something up without making it a big ordeal. I feel off balance and clumsy. My cute clothes are replaced with mama elephant clothes. I DID NOT USED TO BE SO PHYSICALLY LIMITED!

And yet, I cannot wait for the next changes. I can feel little monkey moving right now and know that sleep will become "sleep" and my patience will be work thin and I will wonder why I ever thought it was bad to lie around all day long doing nothing. I have been waiting for this change. I have looked forward to putting all my energy in this project for a while. And here is the one thing that hasn't changed - I CAN'T WAIT AND I AM IMPATIENT!

Good thing I am too tired to do anything about it most of the time. Good thing I know that monkey needs more time to grow and we need more money in the bank before my unpaid maternity leave. Good thing I have a husband who sometimes forgets my limitations (because he is not used to them either) but then remembers and is nice enough not to question my sanity when I make some horribly irrational demand (and then makes me dinner). I will say a little YAY for changes and I can't wait to see what comes next!

2 comments:

Ally said...

You are so cute Kirsten, and hilarious. "Mama elephant clothes" made me laugh... not AT you, I promise, just WITH you. :)

Kendra Joy said...

These changes certainly do point toward the even bigger changes you'll have facing you with a new baby! What exciting change, though! :)